How will we support your child through transitional phases?
We recognise that transition can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
If your child is moving to our college:
- We will work with the Local Authority and External Agencies, to ensure that appropriate arrangements for a child with SEND are made.
- We will plan and deliver an appropriate transition programme. Sometimes this involves simply meeting with the child and their parent/ carers to discuss any concerns or attending the College weekly over a significant period of time.
- Their transition programme will very much be dependent upon the individual child’s needs.
If your child is on the SEND register, we will create a bespoke Student Overview document which will be shared with staff prior to them starting.
Any children with Education, Health and Care Plans will be discussed at length between the Senior Teacher- Inclusion and the Local Authority to ensure the appropriate support packages are put into place.
If your child is moving to us after the September of year 7, they will receive a WRAT test as part of their transition process, which will allow us to understand their literacy abilities and implement the appropriate support.
If your child is moving to another school:
- Once the Senior Teacher- Inclusion is informed of the move, they will contact the new school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving to a different subject teacher within the college:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher through the use of the Student Overview document.
When leaving the college at the end of Year 11:
- We work with students to plan for the most appropriate provision post 16. As students’ needs are very different, there may be a meeting that takes place to discuss your child’s needs, and likewise, they may follow a transition programme over a period of time.
- We work with the post-16 providers to ensure they have all the relevant information they require.