Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development (SMSC)
SMSC stands for spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. At High Tunstall we pride ourselves on a thoughtful and seamless approach to SMSC within the curriculum and wider-college culture. SMSC and British Values are at the heart of High Tunstall’s Personal Development. Below details what SMSC is, broken down into its component parts:
Our SMSC Mapping
- All curricular subject areas are audited and mapped out based on the SMSC criteria to highlight links to their schemes of work, and therefore staff can make links.
- All areas of college life such as Assemblies, Visits, Speakers, Competitions etc. are mapped out against the SMSC criteria to see where the college are promoting these values and what we need to do to develop further.
- To promote SMSC through a clear culture, ethos, vision and pastoral strategy/language.
- To promote SMSC via strong links with three curricular areas in particular: RE/Philosophy and Ethics, Citizenship and PSHCE (including drop-down events).
- To promote SMSC through student leadership bodies/councils and their work conducted.
- To promote SMSC via extra-curricular opportunities, House activities, community work active Citizenship and charity work.